Pancakes have become one of the most eaten breakfast by millions of people. Aside from being an easy to cook breakfast meal, it has eggs and milk, which is the primary source of protein our body needs. What is a pancake and how is it made? A pancake is a thin and flat piece of batter mostly consisting of milk, eggs and flour blended in perfect pouring consistency which is made delicious by every person. They are usually circular in shape and are often rolled up or folded with margarine and a syrup.
Pancakes are usually eaten during breakfast together with coffee or any hot drink. Although they are really not considered as a nutritious meal, Americans have always made it their daily breakfast aside from muffins on their tables.
Moreover, there are also millions of people who don’t consider pancakes a breakfast meal rather a dessert. Generally speaking, pancakes have similar ingredients as regular cakes, which is the most favorite dessert of almost all people. However, they are cooked differently and contains less oil and butter compared to traditional cake desserts.
Pancakes are Easy to Make
Main ingredients of pancakes are milk, flour, and eggs. Just like regular cakes, pancakes dry ingredients can be mixed in a perfect proportion and prepared in advance. Some chefs use water but others prefer using milk to make it perfect. Milk doesn’t just add flavor to the pancake, it also makes it tender and moist. Give it a nice whisk so that the batter should be easy to pour but not runny. In case it is runny, more flour can be added in small quantity gradually. Pour the batter on the greased pan evenly and flip when you see bubbles forming and popping at the top side. After letting it cook for a few minutes from the other side, take it on a serving plate and pour the syrup of your taste.
Since pancake batter has milk and egg mixture, they are considered perishable. They are tasty and delicious when eaten hot, however, there are always instances where we want to reserve an extra plate for the next meal. That is why you can store pancakes in a freezer bag to make it last for weeks.
Tips in Making a Delicious Pancake at Home
There are plenty of ways you can choose to eat pancakes. Whether you bought it from a restaurant or made it with love in your own kitchen, pancakes taste best and delicious when eaten hot. Eating it plain or with syrup, depending on your choice, you don’t want to miss the freshest pancake with golden brown edge that are slightly crisped on your meal.
Want to make a homemade pancake from scratch? Making pancakes doesn’t need too much time. However, if you do not have extra time making the batter, you can always prep them in advance. Here are some prepping tips you might take into consideration.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients from scratch and store it in a cool dry place in your kitchen. When you crave for a pancake, you can easily mix the dry ingredients and cook it in an instant for a just a few minutes.
- It is known that measuring ingredients is the hardest and time-consuming among all the procedures you need to do. However, when you have it prepared in advance, you can turn scratch pancakes into something delicious in the morning.
- In order to make a delicious breakfast treat, you need to know a few tricks to make your pancakes light and fluffy. It is a must to make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- A whisk is very significant to make an adequately moistened mixture. Always remember not to overmix your batter. You can use a pitcher to avoid fuss drips.
What if there are missing ingredients? Worry no more! There are plenty of substitutes you can use whenever you miss an ingredient in your pantry. Be creative.
- We all know that pancake recipes use milk for protein content and to make it delicious and tasty. However, if you do not have milk in your refrigerator, you can substitute it with buttermilk, water, or apple cider for an added flavor.
- To make pancakes extra fluffy, you can always substitute milk with soda.
The Tools for a Perfect Homemade Pancake
Making pancakes is easy even if you are not a pastry chef. Well, it can always be learned. Although at some point, specific skills are always important, learning the basics of making a delicious treat for your family doesn’t require too much time.
A perfect recipe will not be wasted on burnt pancakes when you keep on practicing. Of course, there is no perfect recipe in a single try. But in order to make a perfect pancake, you need to upgrade your cookware and kitchen tools.
- A Nonstick frying pan is one of the most important kitchen tools you need in order to make a pancake from scratch. Aside from fact that the batter won’t stick to the pan, you won’t need extra butter to grease the pan.
- An electric griddle is one of the many tools you can see in most restaurants and stores selling pancakes in order to avoid ridges of a grill. A pancake is a healthy meal when it is made from milk and eggs. Although these are the main ingredients of a traditional pancake, there are pancakes with no eggs. Depending on the chef’s recipe you follow, you can always omit eggs if you don’t like.
- A spatula is basically needed in order to make sure you will have a perfect pancake. It doesn’t damage the pancake’s texture and won’t damage your nonstick pan as well.
- Whether you like it or not, you need to consider buying a whisk. This is because they blend well and make the batter even.
- Pancakes require a specific mixing bowl. They are of different sizes essential for big batches of pancake batter.
- In traditional cake mixture, measuring cups and spoons are required. However, most pastry chefs know that measurement of both liquid and dry ingredients require a different measuring tool. That is why it is significant to have your own measuring cup to make a perfect pancake recipe.
These kitchen tools are just a few you need to have in your own kitchen. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive kitchen tool. You just need to find the best that fits your budget.
The main ingredient of a pancake makes it tasty and delicious. Although chefs have different preferences in their ingredients, making your own recipe can somehow give you enough ways to create a magical meal for your family.
Milk, for example, is one of the important ingredients you can use to make the best fluffy pancake. Although some use water, milk or even buttermilk to add taste.
Groceries now sell ready to cook pancake mix where you can just add water to the entire mixture. However, there will always be a difference when you create your own homemade pancake with the recipe of your own choice. Your family will enjoy a tasty treat during breakfast and can even consider it as the best dessert you can make for them to enjoy.
Also Read –