There are several reasons why most people love puppies. In fact, puppies have become the best buddies of most people and kids. In the similar manner as parents train their kids, we also love doing basic puppy training. Puppies are said to start their training within 11 weeks of age.
However, some puppies start their training at the age of 13 weeks. Being a puppy lover requires a lot of patience. This is because you need to know how to train a puppy to sit, to train a puppy to pee outside your homes, and even know how to train a puppy to behave well.
Who can train a puppy?
In the United States, most puppy owners send their pets in Puppy Kindergartens around the age of 8 weeks to start their training. There are plenty of kindergartens where trainers attend full training within 3 to 6 weeks until they can go home well trained.
But in some countries, puppy lovers would look for other ways and learn how to train a puppy in their own homes. One of the most important things an owner needs to know is to learn how to train a puppy to pee and poop in a certain area. This is essential since cleaning the dirt of puppies requires effort.
If you do not know how to train a puppy not to pee and poop in the house, you will need to spend extra time cleaning their dirt. Disinfecting the area where they pee and poop is very significant if you have kids in your homes as well.
Is puppy training hard?
Puppies come from different breeds. Depending on the owner’s preference, they can either choose dogs that are powerful and friendly. American bully, for example, is one of those breeds that are considered powerful dogs. But despite being powerful, this type of breeds is affectionate, loving, and gentle. Puppies can start learning right from birth just like some other animals and good breeders begin handling and socialization as early as possible. Some training can be initiated as soon as the puppy can open its eyes and walk. Young puppies have short attention spans but you can expect and try them to begin learning simple obedience commands such as “sit,” “down,” and “stay,” as young as 7 to 8 weeks of age.
Owners, on the other side, is responsible for training their puppies to let them know their appropriate behavior and skills. In fact, early training of the pets is very significant. In this manner, the pets will recognize their owner as leader and that they need to obey and follow orders from them.
How hard is it to train a puppy? How to train a puppy behave well and how to train a puppy pee to poop in a pad needs a lot of patience and determination. This is because puppies will not learn in just a single day of training.
As an owner, these can be the most challenging days of having a puppy. Generally speaking, it is very essential to train dogs while they are still young. Older dogs have the ability to set their attitude on what they have been used to; therefore, training them can be harder.
Teaching Puppies to Obey Commands
Training puppies can be done in kindergartens and at home. If you have extra time to spare, you can always train your puppies in your own ways. However, training them is not just about teaching them tricks. You need to focus on educating your puppies to follow basic orders and commands. That is why learning how to train a puppy behave is the very first thing you need to do.
Some effective tips to train your Puppy:
- The technique used to train your puppy is known as food-luring. At 7 to 8 weeks of age favored food in small pieces and favorite toys are used to motivate and reinforce most of the desirable behavior. The reward should be sufficiently appealing and can be used as a prompter. Show the reward, give the command and move the reward to give the preferable response. The repeated pairing of command phrase or word with each action, and giving the reward for each appropriate response, the puppy shall soon learn the meaning of each command.
- Do not forget to give a secondary reinforcer such as an affectionate pat once you get a favorable act. Never repeat the command multiple times as it makes the Puppy learn to serval repetitions as normal before obeying a command.
- It is important to timely phase out or remove the food so as to let the behavior occur naturally. For this, As your puppy begins to comply more often, you can start to hide the food, but give the command and repeat the motion or signal that they have learned to follow. Now reward only with praise and pat. Gradually, vary the frequency of praise and provide food randomly about three to four times. This will make the response more natural.
- The training need not to be in a set session schedule daily but, it is to be short as the puppies have short attention span. A session of fifteen minutes throughout the day in one go or in divided portions will be enough for most of the time.
- Make it a point to involve all the family members during some training sessions so as to ensure maximum bond formation. It is also important to train your pet in every area of your house so that the taught behavior can be seen at all places efficiently.
Dogs need to recognize their owner’s voice and behavior in order for them to follow orders. How to train a puppy sit and come when they are being called follows in line. These basic commands can help you manage when dogs have undesirable behavior. Training them to follow these commands will give you ease whenever you have unexpected visitors.
Pet Socialization with Neighbors and Other Pets
Pet socialization is very significant. Pets growing up with families will boost their socialization skills. You don’t just train your pets to behave well for your families. You also need to train them to behave well with other people.
You can start by doing regular outdoor walks. Aside from letting them social with them socialize with other dogs, it is also a great way to exercise and keep them physically healthy. Introducing your pet to the neighborhood and visiting the veterinarian can help them get well with other pets.
However, socialization is not significant when your puppy is not yet vaccinated. This is because they might get exposed to dog diseases since they usually bit and have fun chewing everything they see.
Letting Puppies Understand House Rules
Puppies and other pets are considered the newest members of the family. This is why you need to train them and let them learn the rules of the house. We all know that puppies have the tendency to become a trouble maker when they are dissuaded, keeping them calm and training them to obey will be most helpful.
Training puppies take effort, time, and determination. Giving them a praise is an effective way to give them a positive reinforcement. By doing this, you won’t get frustrated when your pets don’t follow your orders.
Learning how to train a puppy is not just about discipline and gaining control. Each training session is about the fun and excitement you have when you are together. The more you train your pet, the longer the bonding time you have with each other.
Training them all the basics, like socialization, peep and poop area, crate training, and eating properly will give owners comfort and enjoyment. As puppies, they grow depending on how they are trained and treated. Their behaviors also vary depending on how they are trained by their owners.
As they grow into adults, your bond with them will grow stronger and heavier. You will be very proud of being their soul trainer in the years to come. Stubborn dogs will be easy to handle if the trainer is determined to keep them calm and change their behavior.
The key to a successful training is never to give up. There is always hope even if you have the most challenging pet. The proper approach in training your pet varies depending on their breeds and the determination of the trainer is the only key to a successful pet training.